Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Men's Health Week

As I've grown older my dad and I have a very different relationship than when I was a child, obviously. But around this time every year I begin to think about all of the ways he has contributed to my life. It was my dad who was my role model to become a runner, I attribute my timeliness and partial perfectionism to him, and just the other day I found the hand written step-by-step directions of how to change a tire (he insisted I have this in my car before I left for college).

So for the week leading up to Father's Day, which has been established as Men's Health Week, I'm pondering how to give back to my dad. I want to give him something that will keep him around for a while. Here are a few ideas I've come up with...

  • A certificate for us to spend time together. I live about an hour away from my dad, so we have to plan our time and it often gets overlooked. If he has a certificate it will be a reminder for us to get together and just hang out.
  • An electric toothbrush. He is just like many other men, he loves electronics! An electric toothbrush is an electronic gadget that is worth paying for. The road to a healthy body begins with the teeth.
  • A massage. Although he would NEVER ask for a massage, or probably admit that he would enjoy it, I think it's a great way to relax and allow the body to get rid of some toxins.
  • A hand grip strengthener. It sounds a little strange, but I think he would enjoy it. Also, I've recently read it can lower blood pressure in addition help with a firm handshake.
I encourage you also to make this year a tribute to your father's health. Rather than purchasing specialty beer or discounted meals at local restaurant, find something that will keep him kicking for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment